LinkedIn Engagement Insights Does.
Today’s marketers are driven by data and identifying their target audiences and exactly what matters to them is vital to campaign – and ultimately overall business – success. However, data volumes continue to grow and it’s becoming increasingly difficult for marketers to analyze and interpret meaningful signals from the data noise. PYLON for LinkedIn Engagement Insights gives marketers a helping hand. The privacy-first analytics offering turns the vast amount of data on LinkedIn’s platform into active intelligence that can answer business questions associated with audience, content and brand.
In this blog series, I’ll be putting these three use case areas under the microscope, examining how LinkedIn Engagement Insights can give marketers the meaningful data they need to drive their strategies on LinkedIn and solve related business challenges. Firstly, let’s look at how LinkedIn Engagement Insights can be used to discover what makes your target audiences really tick and who else you could be targeting with relevant campaigns and messaging on LinkedIn.
When it comes to audiences, LinkedIn Engagement Insights can surface insights to inform three key areas:
- Audience demographic analysis
- Audience follow analysis
- Audience discover and expansion
Audience demographic analysis
Understanding your audience’s likes, dislikes and what they’re engaging with is key for any organization. The two questions that should always be front of mind for marketing teams are “what is the demographic profile of the audience interacting around my brand or product?” and “what else is my audience demographic interested in?”. Only when these questions have been answered can marketers make informed creative and targeting decisions and build successful campaigns that resonate with their audience.
LinkedIn Engagement Insights can provide you with this intelligence, enabling you to assess and build a granular picture of exactly who is currently interacting with content about your brand or product. You can understand the breakdown of your audience by examining member demographic attributes such as level of seniority, degrees and skill sets. These insights can not only affirm any audience assumptions your brand may have but also serve as a starting point to uncover other audience insights, such as their locations, occupations, employer industries and employer sizes. This information can then be used to inform who should be targeted with future campaigns.
For example, the image below shows some of the demographic dimensions of the audience interacting around content mentioning a consumer food brand.
The LinkedIn Engagement Insight analysis reveals that:
- The seniority of members interacting with posts and articles discussing the brand are largely entry, senior, manager and director
- To increase your chances of a successful campaign on LinkedIn, you should target managers and above levels of seniority due to their significant activity levels
- Members with bachelor’s, master’s and MBA degrees are most engaged with content mentioning the consumer food brand, so campaigns should focus on these groups
- In terms of member skills, the expertise of those interacting around this content are varied
- The analysis reveals that you could launch different campaigns with messaging that includes multiple, broad categories of skills. For example management, leadership and teamwork
Audience follow analysis
LinkedIn Engagement Insight’s expertise when it comes to giving you a deeper understanding of your target audience doesn’t stop at demographic analysis. You can do an audience follow analysis and discover the demographics of companies that the target audience interacting with your brand, product or services is also following.
This in-depth knowledge of the other companies your audience is following can be leveraged when defining an expanded audience. It provides you with knowledge of the industries and company sizes your audience is interested in. This information can be used to incorporate new topics and themes into future content so that it’s more appealing to the target audience and maximises the content reach.
Let’s look at the the characteristics, including industries and sizes, of companies that are followed by the target audience of a hi-tech brand in the image below.
The audience follow analysis reveals that:
- While industries such as computer software and internet are to be expected, the audience also follows companies in unexpected and diverse industries such as financial services, publishing and automotive
- This insight helps you understand that content for your target audience could resonate even more if it incorporates elements of these industries of interest
- The hi-tech brand’s target audience follows the largest companies (10000+ employees) the most
- The next company sizes they follow drop in the 501-1000 and 5001-10000 ranges rather than ramp upward evenly
- This analysis alerts you to focus on an exploration of company sizes enjoying the most follows for this audience. Learn from insights such as the content they’re sharing that could be driving follows
Audience discovery and expansion
Identifying and learning more about potential new audiences for your brand, product or service is key to business growth and successful marketing campaigns on LinkedIn. LinkedIn Engagement Insights enables you to carry out an audience discovery and expansion analysis based upon a particular topic, for example. To identify new audience, you can start by finding LinkedIn members who are uncommonly interested in your brand and topic.
The visual below shows the fields of study and countries of the audience interacting around the healthcare topic (filtered by non-US, non-UK).
For this particular example, you can assume the US and UK are mature markets for your products so they have been filtered out. The analysis reveals that:
- Members in non-US/UK countries interacting around the healthcare topic have studied unexpectedly varied subjects
- Pharma/scientific areas are expected, but fields such as economics, accounting, engineering, sociology, and communication (among others) are new insights
- Now you know you can expand your audience to include members with these unexpected fields of study
- Analysis of members in non-US/UK countries who are interacting around healthcare shows target countries for expansion
- While it’s possible you were considering certain countries already, this insight can help confirm your plans or lead you to reconsider where to grow your marketing campaigns on LinkedIn
- For example you might not have expected countries such as United Arab Emirates, Egypt, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia to have such high engagement. These could be viable new markets for you
LinkedIn Engagement Insights now gives you the opportunity to research and understand your target audience’s behavior, so that you can ensure you’re targeting the right people, at the right time, with the right content. Make sure your decisions are data-driven and give our free trial a go today!